PRESENTED TO YOU BY
MUCH MORE THAN A RACE!
The Mt. Davis Gravel Grinder was back for the 6th consecutive year! This is a gravel road bicycle race in southwestern Pennsylvania. The course takes you up and over the highest point in the State, Mount Davis. Come for the challenge and stay for the fun! The name says it all. Will you be one of the Quick (fast) or one of the Dead (not so fast)?
This is a Nonprofit event with all of the proceeds being distributed to the Local Volunteer Fire Departments of Somerset County that support the local Townships and Borough's along the course. The 2023 venue was held at the Somerset County Fairgrounds in Meyersdale PA.
All fundraising is being done on behalf of the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies (CFA) - Mt. Davis Gravel Grinder Fund. CFA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and contributions are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. CFA registration and financial information are available from PA Dept. of State by calling 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement.
Hope you are smart and safe!
Stay tuned for updates.
Race Start: 9:30 AM
Race Runs Rain Or Shine!
All active military and vets get 50% off of online registration. Just get a hold of us on the website contact page and give a little info (ID) and we will send you the coupon.
Cash and Prizes
Single speed (All)
Clydesdale 200 lb+ (All)
GAP Ride Option (Non-Competitive)
What you’ll get with your entry:
Race Weekend Timeline
• Check-in for the Out of Towners (at the venue)– 5 PM to 7 PM
Walk up registration welcome-$100
• DIY Parking is at the venue.
• Check-in and Drop Bags – 7 AM to 9:00 AM
Walk up registration welcome-$100
• Volunteer Meeting – 8:30 AM
• Pre-Race Meeting – 9:15 AM
• Race Start – 9:30 AM
• Shindig – 1:30 PM to 6 PM. We ask non-participants to donate in the boots (Fireman Boot/Food & Cowboy Boot/Beer).
• Podiums-as they come in.
Music by - Them Blue Cats
• When you pick up your goody bag at check-in you will find your “Disposable Timing Chip” Seat Post # and Handlebar #. The timing of the race is being provided by Falcon Race Timing.
• Course Marking – Pavement arrows are White, Course Arrows are Blue. Red XXX means “Cautious descending please, or Stop Ahead”! Yellow XXX means “Know your descending abilities”!
• The Race Route is open to all traffic. This means “Don’t do anything stupid”.
(Racers may come upon Amish buggies after AS3 while descending the South Wolf Rock Road and ascending back up to the Compton’s Mill/Mt. Davis Road intersection). Please be courteous!
• The Course is being Marshalled by the Local VFD’s and by Volunteers. Please give them a Big Thank You as you fly by! Remember that they are all Volunteers. Treat this race as if you were out riding alone (Do not take it for granted that traffic will obey them!). Some intersections may not be flagged at all.
• Do Not Litter!
• Lights - If it’s crappy out, stick em on!
• There will be SAG vehicles out on the course. If you need mechanical assistance or DNF, please be patient. They will get to you. We will also have a sweeper vehicle. This vehicle will follow the last racer while picking up signage.
• First Aid – First Aid Kits will be stationed at the Aid Stations and any intersections the VFD’s are at. EMS and or VFD will be stationed at the summit of Mt. Davis and at the Race Venue.
• If you come upon an injured racer, please assess the situation and report them to the nearest Volunteer.
• Cell phone service is limited on this racecourse.
Aid Stations: Please Plan Accordingly!
3 Aid Stations- 2 Fully Stocked: (With First Aid & Hammer Nutrition to get you through)
Swag: Free T-Shirts to the first 100 registered and all Pre-Registered Racers get Ceramic Campfire Coffee Cups or Specialized First Generation water bottle (first come firsts serve). CASH ONLY
• T-Shirts (2024 while they last) - $15 Past T's - $5
• KLVN Coffee Mugs - $5
• QOM & KOM Prize Brought to you by Waxwing Cycles -$100 each goes out to the first female and male to summit Mt. Davis. This happens around mile 65 after climbing over 8,000" AVF (OUCH!). The deal is this, for you to receive this prize you must finish the race.
If you DNF then it is forfeited to the next racer that crosses the line.
• Another $200 each will be awarded to the fastest female and male who cross the finish line. Could be a big day for someone!
• Category purse and prizes are yet TBT.
• Courses – 65 miles with 7’500' of climbing and a Non-Competitive 50+ mile GAP ride option.
For more information please go to the MDGG website or FB page.
See you at the Race,